erickmarkley

Cogitatio

Reflections on philosophy, theology and just observations on life.

The first epistle of H. N. A crying-voyce of the holye spirit of loue. Translated out of Base-almayne into English. (1574)
Christopher Vitell Hendrik Niclaes
Meditations on the Soul: Selected Letters
Marsilio Ficino
The Complete Poetry and Prose
David V. Erdman, William Blake, Harold Bloom
The Encyclopedia of Philosophy (8 Volumes in 4)
Paul Edwards
Cambridge Platonist Spirituality
Charles Taliaferro
Wellsprings of Faith: The Imitation of Christ; The Dark Night of the Soul; The Interior Castle
Juan de la Cruz, Teresa of Ávila, Thomas à Kempis
Paul and the Stoics
Troels Engberg-Pedersen
Locke: Two Treatises of Government (Cambridge Texts in the History of Political Thought)
Peter Laslett, John Locke

Commentary on the Augsburg Confession

Commentary on the Augsburg Confession - Caspar Schwenkfeld This was a great book that really illustrates where Schwenckfeld and Lutherans differed on very important issues. I identify with Schwenckfeld in much of his theology, but there are a few things I don't agree with. His focus on the necessity of Christ and the Holy Spirit, I very strongly support; his Donatist tendencies I do take issue with. Schwenckfeld seemed to hold that either a Christan has the Spirit and is infallibly righteous, or fallibly righteous and doesn't have the Spirit at all and is thus not a Christian; or worse, a false Christian. This is a very simplistic view of Christian regeneration in my opinion and is really a false dichotomy. Regeneration is often a process with many ups and downs until Spiritual maturity is attained. Schwenckfeld doesn't really give proper attention to the reality that Christians may mature at different rates; and that more perfect righteousness is often attained in stages rather than all at once with the conversion experience. This is the biggest problem I have with Schwenckfeld. I largely agree with everything else in here. On that issue I would have to side with Lutherans who had a better appreciation for human, including Christian, fallibility.